Welcome to the Bigelow PTO!
The Bigelow PTO is the parent-teacher organization of the Bigelow Middle School. All Bigelow parents, guardians, teachers and staff are members of the PTO, and we encourage the participation of all in its activities. There are over 370 students and over 340 families at Bigelow – one of the four middle schools in Newton.
We are dedicated to provide support and information to the parent community and promote the core values of the Bigelow Middle School by supporting an environment wherein they will develop respect for self and others, a sense of responsibility for oneself and community, and love of learning.
In order to fulfill its purposes, the Bigelow PTO promotes social, cultural, educational and fundraising activities throughout the year, including:
- Back to School Picnic (September)
- Super Supper Stroll (November)
- Big Night (March)
- Bake sales (November and June)
- Teacher Appreciation Luncheon (February) and Tea (May)
- Social events, such as Restaurant Night, Ice Skating, etc.
Funds raised by the PTO (thanks to member’s dues, events and donations) supports Bigelow performing arts, technology, literature, cultural events and lots more for our children and the school, including:
- Creative Arts and Sciences (CASC)
- One Book, One School Program
- Purchase of school items and equipment (Arts, Gym, Performing Arts, Technology, etc.)
- Field trips
- Speaker Fees
- Gardening of School Grounds
- Graduation/Year-end activities
- Newton Serves
- Teacher & Staff Support
- Family Directory
We invite you to be an active member of our community by participating in our activities. Volunteering is a great way to meet other parents and build school community. There are many opportunities to get involved. Check out how to volunteer.
The purpose of the PTO
As stated in our By-Laws and incorporated herein by reference, the purpose of the Bigelow PTO is to:
- promote the educational, intellectual, social, emotional and physical growth of the Bigelow Middle School students and support the efforts of the staff in providing an optimal educational experience for students;
- promote the core values of the Bigelow Middle School by supporting an environment wherein they will develop respect for self and others, a sense of responsibility for oneself and community, and a love of learning;
- encourage cooperation, collaboration and communication between staff and parents and serve as a medium of contact between home and school;
- provide support and information to the parent community, i.e., keeping them abreast of city- and state-wide educational issues and social issues of the middle-school-age child.
Bigelow PTO encourages the participation of all Bigelow Middle School faculty, staff, parents and students in its activities.
To read the full text of PTO by-laws: Bigelow PTO By-Laws
Communication and contact
The PTO keeps the community up-to-date with what is going on in the school and in the community. The main form of communication between the PTO and your family is through our Bigelow PTO Notes, sent every Sunday. The PTO Notes will provide you with important dates, information on activities/club sign ups, PTO events, information of ways to get involved and other pertinent information needed to navigate the school year.
The PTO also sends weekly Community Notes as a service to our community.
If you are not already receiving emails from the PTO, please click here to sign up for the email list.
To contact the PTO, please send an email to email@example.com
Click HERE to see a list of current PTO Board Members.