Crossing guards play an important role supporting our families’ safety as they access schools and neighborhoods across the Commonwealth. This first ever Annual Crossing Guard Appreciation campaign begins with a crossing guard of the year nomination process, followed by Crossing Guard Appreciation Day, and culminates with announcing the Crossing Guard(s) of the Year award winners at the Annual Safe Routes to School Awards Ceremony in June. The overall goal is to draw attention to and honor the hard work of crossing guards across Massachusetts and to recognize those crossing guards who go above and beyond. Brought to you by: MA Safe Routes To School
Ways to Show Crossing Guard Appreciation
- Take a picture with your favorite crossing guard and nominate them here.
- Post the photo on social media and be sure to use our hashtag #MACGAppreciationDay when posting on Instagram and/or Facebook.
- Send a thank you card showing that you care and acknowledge their hard work. Click here to print out a card we have created for you.
- Simply say “Thank You” as you pass them in the crosswalk.
- Work with your school’s PTO or PTA to organize a thank you breakfast for your crossing guards or bring them their favorite warm beverage in these chilly winter months.
- Gift them their favorite snack, a pair of hand warmers to stay warm during winter, or a mini pocket-fan to stay cool during summer.
- Schools can download the PDF flyer in English, Spanish, Portuguese, or Haitian Creole and distribute to parents/guardians via email or backpack mail here.