Dear 6th Grade Parents and Guardian,
You are invited to a potluck!
This is a wonderful, low-key, no-stress opportunity to meet with other 6th grade parents and build a community for the next 3 years of middle school!
*September 22, 2017 @ 7:00*
12 Willard Street
Please RSVP to Una Simmons – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please bring your own beverage(s) and if your child’s last name begins with:
A – E Please bring a dessert
F – L Please bring a main dish
M – R Please bring a side dish or salad
S – Z Please bring an appetizer
Please note: This is an adult only evening.
If you have any questions or concerns please send an email to email@example.com.
Saturday, November 4, 2017, is the Bigelow PTO Supper Stroll
Please Consider Hosting. We need Dinner Hosts and a Host for Dessert!
We have a host for the appetizer portion of this event. Please consider opening your home to host a dinner or host the dessert gathering. This adult only event has been an enjoyable PTO fundraiser for many years at Bigelow.
The Supper Stroll is a progressive dinner and is held at several homes in succession on one night. A single course served at each home. Everyone meets at one house for drinks & light appetizers where you receive your dinner hosts address, then you go to dinner in groups of 6+ at another then everyone meets at final house for dessert.
Tips for the Supper Stroll Dinners
- Cook what you love!
- Pick a theme if you want “Hot Night in Santorini”, “Gluten Free”, “BBQ or Bust”…
- Join together – one household cooks while the other hosts the dinner.
- Choose recipes that can be made ahead and kept warm until guests arrive.
- Buffet Style works for dinners as does sit-down.
Contact Una Simmons if you have any questions – firstname.lastname@example.org or BigelowBulldog@gmail.com
Students, parents and the whole school community can now get up-to-the-minute updates on clubs, sports, and other events by following @BulldogWoofs on Twitter.
You can read the Twitterfeed on the Bigelow website, or click on the blue button to “Follow Us” on Twitter. By following us, families can get timely notifications sent right to their cellphones, tablets and computers!
This is a great way to keep informed of meetings for new clubs, changes in sports practices and contests, upcoming events, and much much more.
Go Bulldogs! Woof Woof!
Don’t have a Twitter account yet? Go to www.Twitter.com and set one up.
Fall sports games and meets will be starting next week.
Presented by the Newton North PTSO:
“Raising a Resilient Teen: Can your teen bounce back?”
- What is resilience and how does it help teens manage adversity, develop adaptive coping strategies, and reach their full potential?
- What practical strategies can parents/guardians use to cultivate resilience in their teenagers (and themselves!)?
- How does resilience apply to the most ambitious and the most vulnerable teenagers?
- How can a focus on resilience guide our handling of social media, drugs and alcohol, college applications, and other challenges?
- What is the role of school and community resources in supporting teens and helping them feel empowered?
When: Wednesday, October 1, 7:00-8:30 p.m.
Where: Newton North High School Auditorium
Who: Susan Swick, M.D., M.P.H.
Chief of child and adolescent psychiatry
Newton Public School parent
The Bigelow PTO has worked all week with SchoolKidz to find a satisfactory solution to the problems we encountered with the school supply orders.
An agreement was reached and SchoolKidz committed to:
- Refund Bigelow families 100% of their order total.
- Send families an email this week to notify them.
- Process refunds this week. This could take up to 5 days to be reflected in each family’s account.
This means that no more supplies will be forthcoming, so families will have to purchase what is missing in order for students to start working in their classes. Please check again the supply list available in the Bigelow website.
We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We appreciate your patience and understanding with this issue that was out of our control. Please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions.
Best wishes for a great school year!
The Bigelow PTO Board
The weather looks good for the Bigelow Back to School Picnic at Burr Park, but we will be having fun, rain or shine!
When: Thursday, September 14th 5:30 – 7:00pm
Where: Burr Park (cafeteria and/or gym in case of rain)
Food: Chik Chak food truck (Middle Eastern food), plus a bake sale for dessert sponsored by the 8th grade
Plan to bring blankets, playground balls and frisbees. Board and card games will be available (in case of rain) and a great time will be had by all!
You can order your copy of the Bigelow Directory by clicking here. Printed directories will be distributed on Back to School Night (October, 5th) for all those who ordered by September 14th.
First make sure your family information is accurate. Please confirm or updated your data by September 13th so it shows correctly in the printed version.
The online directory is open to all Bigelow families at all times, and it’s important that it’s information is accurate.
To make sure your family’s contact information is in the directory, please follow one of these two steps:
Attention 7th grade parents!!! Many of you are not in the Directory due to a problem we had last year, so add your information now!
NOTE: The Bigelow PTO maintains the online Family Directory at MySchoolAnywhere, and we also print it as a service to the Bigelow community. Bigelow families are automatically in the directory unless they specifically opt out when confirming their data. Parents that do not update their data will be displayed as entered. More information HERE.
Last spring Bigelow piloted an exciting new program designed to give students a daily opportunity to get outside for movement and fresh air. Laps at Lunch allows students to walk laps around the inside perimeter of Burr Park once they’re done with their lunches in the cafeteria. The pilot program, initially run by volunteer staff members, was a huge success and many students have begun asking for its return this year.
We need volunteers to continue this program as we do not have staff available for this program on a regular basis.
What volunteering entails:
- Laps at Lunch training – provided by Bigelow staff members
- Supervising students as they walk during lunch. There are three lunch shifts—total time commitment is about 1 hour.
- Signing up online for a day that is convenient for you. Volunteers are welcome for one day or for multiple days.
- Supervising one of three areas:
- Monitoring students crossing Arlington Street to get to and back from Burr Park
- Monitoring students who are walking around the park
- Monitoring students as the re-enter the building by the parking lot near the gym
Volunteers can also walk along with other volunteers and students. This is a great way to become involved, meet other parents, see the students in action, and help our students get more active time during their school day.
If interested or for more information please contact Mary Fitzgerald (physical education teacher) at: Mary_Fitzgerald@newton.k12.ma.us