Category Archives: Community Notes

NGS is pleased to offer an opportunity for girls in grades 9 – 12 to join a BAYS travel soccer team this spring. This is intended to be a low-key, fun soccer experience.

REGISTER NOW Deadline: April 8, 2023

Season dates: This is a 7-week season. Games are played at Nahanton Field on Sunday afternoons (after 1 pm).  The season starts Sunday, April 23 and ends June 11, 2022. High School Games will NOT be scheduled for Memorial Day weekend (May 28).

Practice: Teams will practice once per week. Date & Time TBD.

Fee: $160

Level/Format: BAYS, Division 3, 7v7 team.

Eligibility: Players must have been born on or after 1/1/2003 AND be in 12th, 11th, 10th, or 9th grade (no PG players).  Players must live in or attend school in Newton.

Registration: Register through our Sports Connect site.  NGS policies, calendar and more can be found on our website.  Registration deadline is April 8.  Please register early, if possible, to help us with our planning.  

Questions? Email registrar@newtongirlssoccer.org.

We look forward to seeing you on the field!

Newton Cub Scouts Pack 210 spring Ice Cream Social and Recruiting event

Join Newton Cub Scouts Pack 210 for our spring Ice Cream Social and Recruiting event, on Thursday, April 27 from 6-7pm at the Carroll Center. Please join us for fun games and activities, followed by an ice cream party (allergies accommodated), which has been generously donated by the Mayflower Council. This exciting event is for our existing scouts as well as friends/community members who are interested in learning more about our Pack. Newton Pack 210 welcomes boys and girls grades 1-5; please see our website for more  info, Newton Cub Scout Pack 210 (http://pack210newton.scoutlander.com). Scouting is a great opportunity to make new friendships and learn new skills. We have had a great year so far, with Pinewood Derby, camping, hiking, community service, and fun group outings, as well as monthly Den/Pack meetings, with more fun events upcoming, including Sturbridge Village overnight, Woosox, and outdoor activities. We meet monthly at the Carroll Center for the Blind in Newton Centre, and also have fun weekend activities planned. We hope you can join us on April 27 to learn more! Please email Colin at (c.elliott.murphy@gmail.com) with questions. 

Please RSVP if you will attend, to help us with planning. 

https://forms.gle/RTbznurfLwgoxH8Z6

Setting Boundaries for Healthy Relationships and Caregiver Self-Care

Thursday, May 25, 2023, from 7:00 to 8:30 PM ET/ 4:00 to 5:30 PM PT. 

In this webinar, Jenny Woodworth, LISW, will define boundaries as they relate to familial relationships. Participants will learn why boundaries are necessary when supporting a loved one with a mood disorder and how to apply boundaries as a form of self-care. Register to join us for a live webinar discussion or watch on demand after it airs. 

After the webinar, complete our online evaluation and you’ll be entered for a chance to win a copy of Courage to Caregivers Guide to Telling Your Story Journal. 

Please share information about the free webinar with your network or community!

If you are new to the topic of depression or in need of a refresher, please watch our Adult Depression: Getting on the Path to Wellness as a Family as a foundation to this upcoming webinar. 

APRIL VACATION CAMP: TUESDAY, APRIL 18-FRIDAY, APRIL 21 @ ANGIER ELEMENTARY.

We’re offering a variety of classes for kids K-8, including STEM, arts, sports and language!  Click HERE for more information or to sign up!  Spots are going fast- SIGN UP TODAY!  

WE’VE GOT CAMP.  ALL. SUMMER. LONG.

With over 200 camp offerings, we’ve got something for everyone!  CLICK HERE for more information about and to register your child.  

COUNSELOR IN TRAINING PROGRAM: NEW FOR 2023!

Calling all rising 8th & 9th graders!

Learn how to become the best camp counselor ever with Newton Community Education’s CIT (Counselor in Training) program. You will get experience working with campers and counselors to develop the skills and confidence to become effective leaders in a supportive environment.  Sign up for one or more sessions!   

Session 1: July 10-21, 2023

Session 2: July 24-August 4, 2023

Session 3: August 7-18, 2023

Check out our other SUMMER CAMP OFFERINGS for middle schoolers!

Reading Tutor

I recently retired from NPS after 21 years, am certified in Orton-Gillingham and Lively Letters (which means that my practice is aligned with the Science of Reading, is multi-sensory, and fun). I specialize in working with struggling kindergarten and first grade readers – often intervening before schools offer formal evaluation and education plans.  I can also work with older students.  My home office is close to Oak Hill and Brown Middle Schools.  I look forward to meeting you and your child.

Please email me at wetznertutoring@gmail.com

Enid Wetzner

Reading Tutor

I recently retired from NPS after 21 years, am certified in Orton-Gillingham and Lively Letters (which means that my practice is aligned with the Science of Reading, is multi-sensory, and fun). I specialize in working with struggling kindergarten and first grade readers – often intervening before schools offer formal evaluation and education plans.  I can also work with older students.  My home office is close to Oak Hill and Brown Middle Schools.  I look forward to meeting you and your child.

Please email me at wetznertutoring@gmail.com

Enid Wetzner

South Stage Silent Auction

In conjunction with South Stage’s upcoming May 18th – 20th production of 9 to 5 The Musical, the annual silent auction will be held from May 4th – 20th! Please help us by donating items for the auction, or soliciting businesses to help through Playbill ads or donations. Consider donating unused gift cards to your favorite stores or restaurants, tickets to a fun theater or sporting event, museum passes, sports memorabilia, weekend away options or professional services: photography, catering, coaching etc. Contact southstageparents@gmail.com or Dana Lanciloti at dhlanciloti@gmail.com for more information. Thanks for your support!

South Stage Silent Auction

In conjunction with South Stage’s upcoming May 18th – 20th production of 9 to 5 The Musical, the annual silent auction will be held from May 4th – 20th! Please help us by donating items for the auction, or soliciting businesses to help through Playbill ads or donations. Consider donating unused gift cards to your favorite stores or restaurants, tickets to a fun theater or sporting event, museum passes, sports memorabilia, weekend away options or professional services: photography, catering, coaching etc. Contact southstageparents@gmail.com or Dana Lanciloti at dhlanciloti@gmail.com for more information. Thanks for your support!