Dear NPS Families,
I write to you to share information on the precautions we are taking in the Newton Public Schools related to EEE and West Nile Virus. Newton remains a LOW risk community in the state for both EEE and WNV. Given the LOW risk level, the Newton Health and Human Services Department advises precautions as listed in the attached fact sheet.
NPS has taken the following actions given the elevated risk levels in other parts of the state:
- Outdoor field trips to locations in “high” or “critical” risk areas have been cancelled.
- Planned outdoor evening activities will be moved indoors if possible. If held outside, the Newton Health and Human Services Department advises wearing insect repellant and long sleeves/pants. (Parents/caregivers should apply/provide repellant.)
- At this time, the Newton Health and Human Services Department is not advising cancelling outdoor evening activities.
- At this time, outdoor activities during the day (recess and physical education) do not require modification.
- Should the risk level change, these actions will be re-evaluated.
For more information, please visit:
We will continue to work closely with our partners in the Newton Health and Human Services Department to monitor the situation and will make adjustments as necessary. Newton HHS is working together with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the East Middlesex Mosquito Control Project to assess the situation in our community. We will keep you updated as new information becomes available.