Last spring Bigelow piloted an exciting new program designed to give students a daily opportunity to get outside for movement and fresh air. Laps at Lunch allows students to walk laps around the inside perimeter of Burr Park once they’re done with their lunches in the cafeteria. The pilot program, initially run by volunteer staff members, was a huge success and many students have begun asking for its return this year.
We need volunteers to continue this program as we do not have staff available for this program on a regular basis.
What volunteering entails:
- Laps at Lunch training – provided by Bigelow staff members
- Supervising students as they walk during lunch. There are three lunch shifts—total time commitment is about 1 hour.
- Signing up online for a day that is convenient for you. Volunteers are welcome for one day or for multiple days.
- Supervising one of three areas:
- Monitoring students crossing Arlington Street to get to and back from Burr Park
- Monitoring students who are walking around the park
- Monitoring students as the re-enter the building by the parking lot near the gym
Volunteers can also walk along with other volunteers and students. This is a great way to become involved, meet other parents, see the students in action, and help our students get more active time during their school day.
If interested or for more information please contact Mary Fitzgerald (physical education teacher) at: Mary_Fitzgerald@newton.k12.ma.us