Even with our mild winter so far, we all know how New England weather can surprise us. Newton at Home has designed a new Winter Buddy Program to encourage connections between seniors and other community members when the snow and wind are swirling outside. Being a buddy means that a volunteer or volunteer family would connect with a Newton at Home member to:
1. Advise that a storm is coming.
2. Assess the need for essential supplies (milk, bread, flashlights and batteries, etc).
3. Develop plans for snow removal.
4. Call your buddy every day of the storm.
5. Direct your buddy to appropriate help when necessary.
Volunteering as a Winter Buddy will require minimal time commitment but would give Buddies a sense of connection and satisfaction from helping others. If you would like to participate, please contact Bonnie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617.244.0694. For more information about the Winter Buddy program and Newton at Home, please check our website.
Newton at Home is dedicated to empowering Newton’s seniors to age at home comfortably, independently, and with peace of mind through a membership-based organization that offers access to comprehensive practical services and fosters social supports and a sense of community.